November 6, 2009

A DAY IN THE FUTURE



June 3001, somewhere in the outer space a spaceship is coursing in prescribed orbit, it was 2 weeks back we started our voyage from the planet Mars, the place where human race live. My dad used to say our forefathers once lived in Earth, hard to believe if we see that planet, today it’s a dark and dry globe, I remember once we crash landed on earth due to some technical stag on the space ship that was the time I first walked through that planet. It was a shocking and scary place. I could only see endless darkness and lifelessness. We stayed there for a day and half to buy some time before we fix the space ship and continue our journey. I tried to explore, collected some rock samples all I could see is heaps of metallic junks around. How could someone ever possibly live in a place like this? I don’t have a good imagination talent I used to have when I was a kid, so not wasting time thinking about it.

Well, my mission now is to reach to Saturn’s natural moon Titan the biggest of Saturn’s other satellites. The planet which is a store house of fuels, our brothers have already reached there a week ago and heard that the drilling has already started all they need is requisite supply of food which we are bringing for them. Petroleum products are one mineral we are still short in Mars, the scarcity has made us to travel this far. Necessity is the mother of invention, well in this case its discovery. I always wanted to be a cosmonaut like my parents. There are three generations of cosmonauts in my family. My parents met each other in space. My father was working in the space station Babel at that time which rotates round the Mars and they had a serious internal circuit problem, well actually not that serious problem but it was one of the many problems Babel had. Mars send a new group of technician to fix it; my mom was the part of that team. My dad liked her enthusiasm and passion for space exploration. A month later they got married in the spectacular Babel grand amphitheatre in front of thousands of scientists and cosmonauts. I am proud to be in that family, and today I stand in the deck of the space ship “Nephilium” as the youngest captain in the history of Mars, continuing the legacy.

I used to think about my existence, this flesh and blood, this life. I represent a homogeneous race called human race which started its very first life on the planet of Earth thousands and millions of years ago, they lived there freely for generations ruling all the other species, dominating them, dominating the nature, careless and carefree. To error is human we all make mistakes, I have made many mistakes in life, I still do, that’s because I am still human. But today I am afraid to make mistakes, may be everyone who lives in my planet Mars are scared to think of their past mistakes. In schools we are never taught about the history of Earth, I was curious to know what happened to my forefathers there, how we came here. What made the earth so dark and lifeless? The council has strictly made the syllabus erasing the past because they are scared to think of their past mistakes. They are scared if they make the same mistakes again. All I know is a story my grand father told me once, he heard it from his father about the last days of Earth.

About a ruler who ruled the last days of Earth, a man so loved by the people that they called it the golden age of the Earth. There was no difference between the rich and the poor, everyone was treated equally. There was a common government, a common bank, a common currency. world was one nation, one flag, one national song, one army and the once blue planet ruled by one man, a young vibrant and smart leader. Everything the world earned was for the people who live in the world; everybody had a common bank account, that’s the government account. They can buy anything, sell anything, and do anything they want, without any restrictions on the return of the loyalty towards the government. They should be loyal towards the government and their leader. Of course there was an opposition against their fearless leader, the ones who were blind enough to see the prosperity and freedom of act around them. They refused to show their loyalty towards the leader, they refused to attend the seminars and orientation programs conducted by the government where they where given free bio chips with the emblem of the nation, they refused to sign the treaty of loyalty as well as never entered their personal data into the super computer – “the beacon” but those minority might have perished in their arrogance.

It is not sure whether it was the nuclear war between the rebels or a natural calamity that brought the end of the Earth, as per what we are heard from grand parents are that the earth perished due to natural cause. The sun became enlarging the rays became unbearable. The reason why life prevailed on earth was, it was on the perfect distance from the sun, a bit near would burn the earth, a bit far would freeze the earth, it was on the right distance from the sun, the most perfect condition for life to bloom, and as the sun started enlarging the earth became closer to the sun than before and the fate that Venus had happened to Earth. Thanks to the scientist who foresaw this disaster and worked to make the Mars the second home, it was thousands of years of hard work that made life possible on Mars, scientists artificially made an atmosphere over Mars and the atmosphere made rain, rain made rivers, rivers became sea, sea became oceans and here we are, we succeeded, life in the fourth planet of the solar system.

What happened to Venus and Earth can one day happen to Mars, the sun is growing, today Mars is on the perfect distance from the sun, not too far, not too near the safe zone. But one day even the Mars become a meal for sun, hence today we have realized we have to find another home for humanity, and that new home is one of Jupiter’s huge moons “Europa.” Our team is already working on making life possible in Europa, today it is frozen with ice but not forever, the ice will melt to make it a planet of oceans, and slowly Man’s third home. What makes me curious is which side my ancestors belonged, the side of the government or the side of the rebels? The rebels always dreamed of a new world, is it this world they where talking about? Or some other parallel universe? Nobody knows a clear answer, all this happened around thousand years ago and we don’t have a written history of Earth, never allowed to talk about Earth. If it’s not this Mars they where talking about then where? Which part of the universe, here in this space ship I have traveled many light years away from Mars in almost all direction buts it’s just a little compared to the vastness of this universe. I always wish if I could land in a dream world someday my ancestors hoped, dreamed and awaited, or have they attained their dream? If so then, what is the purpose of my life? There is nothing more to attain, everything I needed to attain I received it by birth.

Sometimes I look through the window of the space ship and gaze at the dark yet sparkling, silent yet fearsome infinity. I ask to myself where am I going, where is my final destination. My eyes cannot see the ends of the infinity in all direction, I cannot even see my planet, and it is smaller than an atom. As if standing on the middle of a crossroad totally confused, looking for an answer and nobody around to answer me. I scream aloud and all I hear is my eco am I dead or really alive? I need to poke myself to know.

For a moment I decided to close my eyes and forget about who I really am, I forgot my designation, I forgot my heritage, my name, my achievements, my reputation, my temptations, my ambitions, everything I hold into my self, everything I boast and be proud of, I decided to forget everything and saw myself as a naked man, I tried to see my inner self, beneath all the shields and covers which others see about me, deep inside my flesh and bones, who I really am. I could see a lot of chemical and mechanical processes working inside my body, but is that all? Am I just one among millions of organic creatures in the universe? My heart and mind refused to satisfy with that answer. I felt that answer was given by an escapist, who refused to think beyond reasoning. I knew it, nobody told me but I knew it. I am more than an organic creature. I am a powerhouse like the tiny atoms who doesn’t know they have the power within them which can destroy a planet, so am I. I have the power to create a planet.

I was blind but now I see!

No comments:

 
BlogBlogs.Com.Br